In recent decades, society has become accustomed to a way of eating that promotes global warming, aggravates world hunger and water shortages, fails to ensure food security, harms our health, and violates Switzerland’s constitutional principle of dignity for animals. As most of the problem stems from a high consumption of animal-derived foods, the solution will involve a shift towards plant-based eating. Our ballot initiative in Zurich will promote such a shift by demanding plant-based options be served in all public canteens.
The municipal code of the city of Zurich is altered as follows:
1 The city of Zurich supports the promotion of a sustainable and healthy diet in accordance with current scientific knowledge. In particular, it promotes an increased vegetable diet, by:
- maintaining a foundation for the promotion of a sustainable, vegetable diet. The foundation provides information on the effects of the consumption of animal products on the environment, resource and land use, health and animal welfare.
- Promoting the spread of vegetarian and vegan meals in the catering facilities of public establishments as well as other institutions and seeing to it that at least one vegan option is offered daily in catering facilities which have more than one set meal.
2 The city of Zurich publishes a report every two years under the guidance of the foundation on the measures taken, the successes achieved and the resources used.
Article 125 (transitional provisions)
The foundation for the promotion of a sustainable, vegetable diet will be established by the municipality within one year.
Relevant Blog Posts
Sentience Politics press conference at the Swiss federal media center in April 2014 A number of considerations speak in favor of the political domain’s potential for highly effective activism: While many arguments for veganism, when used to criticize private consumer choices such as meat-eating, fall on deaf ears or are met with hostility and emphatic refusal, […]Read more
A political philosopher friend recently asked: What are your 2-3 core reasons for considering it permissible/obligatory to respond to climate change primarily on a political rather than an individual level? Someone answered: (a) It is arrogant hybris to think one has the responsibility to respond to that question solitarily. Hybris because responsibilty implies ability, arrogant […]Read more
- Neue Zürcher Zeitung: Der Kuss der Vegi-Muse.
- Blick: Neue Volksinitiative lanciert: Kommt jetzt der Vegan-Zwang in Zürich?.
- Neue Zürcher Zeitung: Volksinitiative Veganismus: In Zürich machen die Veganer mobil.
- 20 Minuten: Une pétition pour manger moins de viande.
- RTS: Une organisation demande aux autorités de promouvoir le végétarisme.
- Bluewin: Pétition en ligne pour une “Alimentation durable 2020”.
- Hebdo: Pétition en ligne pour une “Alimentation durable 2020”.
- La Liberte: Pétition en ligne pour une “Alimentation durable 2020”.